Wednesday, October 17, 2007

The same but different.....

After reading two very interesting autobiographies and hearing a first person account from Smith Art, it is evident to me that many cultures experience racism with in their own culture/ethnicity. Two accounts that I am referring to directly are: When Heaven and Earth Change Places and Coming of Age in Mississippi. Although the authors of these autos are completely different they share a similar underlying theme, division. In Hayslip's auto she describes how Vietnam was divided into both North and South. This is very similar to the US during the civil rights movement but between the whites vs. blacks, the major motif of the auto, but also there is a more subtle theme of blacks vs. blacks. I guess this brings me to my point of why I am even writing this blog. It is shown that we as humans have become "racist" against our own brothers. From the American perspective, the Vietnamese are all apart of the same culture so it seems that they would not have as many problems as they did between each other. I compare this to Moody's auto because she explains how many of the blacks shunned their own kind because they were darker than other blacks. Because racism has been a major conflict in the past, it seems that we have made much progress but yet we have so far to go. I guess even racism is not discriminatory. But even the wisest mind has something yet to learn. Until next time.........

1 comment:

caroline said...

I think that this is a great way to approach the assignment. I like the fact that you've focused in on the idea of division and how that division affects the narrator of each selection. You've got a great start to this assignment.